The project involves the replacement of water mains, replacement or lining of sanitary mains, and enhancement of surface features including sidewalks and mid-block crossings. Please refer to the project drawing
for more information.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The project involves the following stages of construction:
- Replacement/rehabilitation of sanitary sewer and water main along 2nd Street between 6th Avenue and 4th Avenue.
- Surface enhancements including upgraded mid-block crossings, sidewalks, planters and street furniture.
- Planting of trees, shrubs and flowers in the planters. This work will be done the year following completion of construction.
The infrastructure replacements and upgrades along the 400 block of 2 Street SE will be completed in 2016.
A major goal of this project is to provide as little disturbance as possible to affected businesses and residences, and will therefore be divided into numerous “work zones”.
As each work zone is under construction:
- Traffic detours will be in place in order to move traffic as efficiently as possible around construction.
- Vehicle access and on-street parking within the work zone will be restricted.
- Water and sewer service will be maintained to the fullest extent possible, however slight interruptions will be required in order to tie-in each service and the new mains. With the exception of unforeseen incidents, service interruptions will all be scheduled in advance, and of short duration.
Public Information Session - April 21, 2015
Posted April 16, 2015
Project Start Up - May 20, 2015
Posted May 14, 2015
Construction Phasing Map
Posted May 14, 2015
Public Information Session March 30, 2016
Posted March 24, 2016
Construction Commencement April 7, 2016
Posted April 7, 2016
Water Shut Notification April 21, 2016
Posted April 21, 2016
Intersection Closure May 24 2016 - Note: This closure will be in effect Wednesday May 25, 2016
Posted May 20, 2016
During the course of the work the 400 and 500 Blocks of 2nd Street will at times be closed to vehicular traffic, pedestrian traffic will remain open via the existing sidewalk. Patrons of downtown businesses can find alternate on-street parking as well as in the Cottonwood lot and the Transit Terminal Parkade where regular parking rates apply (see parking map).
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Project Manager: Jamie McLeod, Construction Superintendent 403.529.8176
Environmental Utilities 24 Hour Emergency Line 403.502.8042