Posted Speed Limit to be Lowered in Downtown
Medicine Hat – Recent public and local business engagement, in conjunction with the current Municipal Development Plan review, identified a desire for the downtown area to have a pedestrian friendly environment. With this in mind, the City of Medicine Hat has recently completed a posted speed limit review of roads in the area.
Some of the key considerations for the City’s posted speed review include:
- Maintaining vehicle, cycling and pedestrian safety;
- Road design characteristics and adjoining land use;
- Number, location and type of intersections; and
- Posting a speed that most drivers consider safe and reasonable under ideal conditions.
Based on the review results, the speed limit on roads in the downtown core will be posted at 40 km/h.
- Downtown Speed Zone Map (PDF)
Previously, as part of the ongoing city-wide speed review, other corridors which have undergone changes to posted speed limits include Parkview Drive NE, South Boundary Road, Box Springs Road NW and Broadway Avenue NW.
Appropriate signs will be installed to implement the speed limit change in the downtown area.
Motorists are advised the new speeds will take effect on Monday, June 29, 2020.
- 30 -
For more information:
City of Medicine Hat