The Solid Waste Utility collects, diverts and/or disposes of solid waste from City of Medicine Hat waste customers. The Utility ensures all disposal operations meet the rigid safety, environmental, monitoring, recording and reporting parameters of Federal, Provincial, solid waste industry and local standards. Waste diversion programs are also planned and executed to meet Council’s solid waste diversion goals.
Directed by Waste Bylaw #1805, both the Utility and Medicine Hat residents must adhere to the provisions set forth in the bylaw. This refers to proper waste disposal, collection and handling; set-out guidelines and instruction; utility fees and disposal rates. The Solid Waste Utility is also regulated by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) and Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP).
The Solid Waste Utility prepared a Solid Waste Management Plan that sets out a strategy for sustainable, cost effective management of Medicine Hat’s solid waste over a ten year time frame. See below for more details.
Solid Waste Survey Results
In 2015 the Solid Waste Utility conducted a survey seeking feedback and insight from Medicine Hat residents with regards to diverting waste from our landfill. The results of this survey were reviewed to assist with the preparation of the 5-year progress report as well as used as part of the deciding factor to move forward with the upcoming curbside recycling program.
Contact Environmental Utilities
General Inquiries: 403.529.8176
- Solid Waste Bylaw #1805 (PDF)
- 2018 Solid Waste Bylaw #1805 Amended Fees (PDF)
- Solid Waste Management Plan (PDF)
- Solid Waste Management Plan Executive Summary (PDF)
- Solid Waste Management Plan - 5-Year Progress Report (PDF)
- Solid Waste Survey Results as prepared by GHD (PDF)
- Medicine Hat Waste Management Video (YouTube)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Alberta Environment and Parks