A secondary suite or basement suite is generally defined as any self-contained dwelling unit that is located within a primary dwelling unit, where both dwelling units are registered under the same land title.
|Applying for a
New Secondary Suite
Information on Development & Building Permit Application Process
Safety Measures Save Lives
The safety requirements under Alberta’s safety codes are meant to protect people in the event of an emergency, like a fire. Here are just three important safety features to keep in mind, and always check for when considering any place to live:
Key Things to Look For
Each bedroom should have at least one window that can be opened from the inside without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge. The window should be unobstructed, and it should be accessible and large enough for anyone to fit through. If the window has security bars, they should be operable from the inside without the use of any tools.
- Emergency Egress Windows (PDF)
- Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors should be present in each unit within the house, and connected to each other so that activation of one alarm would cause all alarms within both units to sound. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors should be inspected, tested and maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Each unit within the house should have at least one exit that leads directly outside.
What is a legal and safe Secondary Suite?
Suites that are legal and safe have been inspected by a Fire or Building Safety Codes Officer to verify that they meet the necessary requirements of the Alberta Safety Codes.
How to have your suite added to our online registry
- Step 1 Contact Planning & Development Services at 403-529-8374 to obtain permits and arrange for necessary inspections.
- Step 2 Upon passing your final building inspection, contact Fire Services to request to be added to the registry.
- Step 3 Fire Service will verify bedroom windows in the primary residence are egress compliant and add your property to the registry.
For more information please see our Secondary Suite FAQ or contact Medicine Hat Fire Service at 403.529.8282.