|Parking||Prep & Fly||Passenger
The Medicine Hat Regional Airport (YXH) provides regional transportation services in a cost effective manner, serving the air transportation needs of Medicine Hat and the surrounding area. It operates as stimulus for economic, recreational, and social activities; hosting a number of different flight services and adding to the accessibility of our area.
Runway 03-21 & Taxiway Alpha
Rehabilitation Project (May 2, 2018)
May 31 Update
Runway 03-21 Rehabilitation has been substantively completed with only minor deficiencies to be addressed. All design and specification requirements have been met and confirmed through our QA/QC verification.
The Airport will fully open NLT today at 2200 hours Thursday, May 31st as planned with the first commercial carrier arrival scheduled for 0020 hours Friday, June 1st. There may be some earlier flight activity once the airport is opened (ie. Super T and possibly Canwest).
All stakeholders have been advised including Air Canada, AHS, Canwest, Super T etc. The NOTAMS will expire tomorrow at 2200 hours, Thursday, May 31st.
May 22 Update
- Final lift asphalt was completed on the main runway over the weekend, two days ahead of schedule
- All three storm crossings have been completed
- The final concrete pour for the turnbutton panels was completed today
- Work remaining includes topsoiling, seeding, pavement markings, and infield storm work
- There are approximately 70 workers onsite each day
- We are pleased with the contractors progress on the project and their commitment to, not only the schedule but also the quality of the work
- The runway is on track to reopen at 10 pm May 31st, as scheduled.
Overall project is proceeding well and is on schedule for all critical path activities.
Construction activities completed to date (May 17, 2018):
- Asphalt milling and removal – complete and on schedule.
- Granular haul and base preparation – completed and on schedule
- Baselift Asphalt Paving of Taxiway A – completed and on schedule
- Toplift Asphalt Paving of Taxiway A – completed and on schedule
- 3 Storm sewer bore crossings – completed and on schedule
- Storm extension work ongoing
- Saw-cut and removal of end of runway concrete panels– Completed
- Three scheduled concrete pours all completed ahead of schedule.
- Airfield Lighting Control installation @ Tower and Field Electric Centre – Completed.
Activities scheduled for next 7 days
- Final concrete pour scheduled for Tuesday, May 22nd, one day ahead of schedule.
- Base paving of Runway 03-21 scheduled for May 18th-20th
- Final lift paving of Runway 03-21 scheduled for May 21st – 23rd
- Topsoil placement and hydroseeding next week
The City of Medicine Hat along with their contractors completed Phase 1 of the Airport Runway 03-21 and Taxiway A Rehabilitation Project in November 2017. Phase 1 included the replacement of the subsurface drainage system and airfield electrical system.
Phase 2 of the project will begin in May 2018 with the rehabilitation of the Airport’s main runway and taxiway pavement surface. The structure, which was originally constructed in 1964, has not seen any major surface treatments in over 20 years. Project personnel have been working with the various stakeholders to minimize disruption to airport operations. The removal of the existing pavement surface, placement of additional gravel structure and the repaving of the over 8000m2 airport runway will take 24 days to complete. Construction will begin May 7, 2018 at 7am and wrap up May 31, 2018 at 10pm. During this time all runways will be closed and all scheduled airline flights will be cancelled.
Customers who have bookings during this time will be advised accordingly by their booking agent. For alternative travel arrangements, customers should contact their travel agent. Alternative ground transportation options to Calgary and Edmonton include:
The City of Medicine Hat recognizes those impacted by these changes and appreciates their patience and understanding.
1-49 Viscount Ave SW
Medicine Hat, AB
|Air Canada Information
8 am to 4:30 pm
Monday to Friday (excluding holidays)