About the Airport

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

<< Back

Airport History

The Medicine Hat Regional Airport is owned and operated by the City of Medicine Hat. The Airport initially opened in 1912 as a dirt strip, until 1941 when the Department of National Defence assumed the operations as a British Commonwealth Air Training Base. 

The # 34 Service Flying Training School, as it was known, provided advanced training for pilots, including fighter and multi-engine training to over 3000 airmen from 1941 to 1945. In 1947, the Department of National Defence transferred ownership of the airport to the City of Medicine Hat. The airport continues to be owned by the City of Medicine Hat and operated by the Municipal Works Department, Airport Section.

In the early 1960s, the primary runway was relocated, strengthened, and lengthened. A larger combined Air Terminal Building/Flight Service Station was built in 1980. Over the years, the Airport has completed various electrical, pavement surface, infrastructure and terminal improvements primarily with funding from the Federal Airports Capital Assistance Program.

Future Planning

The Airport Area Structure Plan is a policy guidance document bylaw adopted by City Council on July 5, 2011, to provide a framework for future developments in the vicinity of the airport while recognizing synergies between land uses and the Medicine Hat Regional Airport. 

For the full PDF version, click here.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer