What is a Heavy Truck?
A Heavy Truck means a motor vehicle with a gross weight of 6,500 Kilograms or more, or exceeding eleven (11) metres in length.
What is a Heavy Truck Route?
A Heavy Truck Route is the assigned route within Medicine Hat that heavy trucks are required to follow.
What is a Restricted Heavy Truck Route?
A Restricted Heavy Truck Route is the assigned route within Medicine Hat that heavy trucks are required to follow. The use of these routes are restricted to the hours of 07:00 - 23:00.
Deviating from a Heavy Truck Route
The following persons shall not be deemed to be operating a motor vehicle in contravention of Section (93) of Bylaw 4346, if the heavy truck was being operated on the most direct route between the following premises or locations and the nearest heavy truck route or restricted heavy truck route:
- A person delivering or collecting goods or merchandise to or from the premises of a bona fide customer.
- A person going to or from a storage depot for the heavy truck in respect to which a development permit has been issued.
- A person moving a building from one location to another, for which all necessary permits have been issued by the City.
- A person going to or from premises for the servicing or repairing of the heavy truck.
- A person pulling a disabled motor vehicle from a roadway other than a heavy truck route or a restricted heavy truck route.
Use of Engine Retarder Brakes
No person shall operate an engine brake within the City limits in accordance with section (96) of Bylaw 4346.
Heavy Truck Routes Brochure
To view the heavy truck routes, click the brochure link below:
*Please note, Traffic Bylaw 2434 and Streets Bylaw 1556 have been combined into the Public Roads Bylaw 4346. Updates to referencing material coming soon.