In 2013, the City of Medicine Hat began its city wide conversion of all High Pressure Sodium (HPS) streetlights to reliable and energy saving Light Emitting Diode (LED) streetlights.
We are pleased to report that project has been completed.
Energy Savings & Reduced Environmental Impacts:
LED streetlights consume approximately 50-60% less energy than HPS streetlights. This results in significant energy cost savings, reduction of greenhouse emissions, and will generate a payback on initial investment within 7-8 years at the current energy price.
LED streetlights do not contain the hazardous substances mercury or lead, and do not release poisonous gasses if damaged. By comparison, HPS streetlights contain mercury and must be properly disposed of every 4-5 years.
Reliability & Increased Lifespan:
- LED streetlights have a life expectancy of 15-20 years, compared to the 4-5 years for the existing HPS lights. LED lights also require extremely low maintenance compared with HPS, which constantly require bulb and ballast replacements.
- LED technology reduces maintenance costs, and frees City crews to look after other important City infrastructure. Fewer service vehicle trips for repairs will further reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- LED lights improve public safety for the following reasons:
-Better light quality for drivers to see pedestrians and obstacles
-Increased lifespan means less outages and higher % of roads being lit during the night
-Reduced maintenance meaning fewer lane closures while crews do repairs/replacements
Improved Light Quality & Control:
- The LED lights for this project are all "Dark Sky" approved by the International Dark Sky Association (IDA), and are full cutoff light fixtures. This means that no light is released upwards into the sky.
- LED lights have improved technology which controls the direction of the light and disperses it evenly onto the road surface. This reduces "dark spots" as well as light pollution and trespass onto private property. The LED lights will provide equivalent illumination levels as the existing HPS lights.
- LED lights also have a neutral "whiter" light which is more pleasing to the eye and is of a higher quality than HPS lights. For this reason, drivers and pedestrians will be able to recognize colours better under the new LED lights.
Municipal Works Department