Medicine Hat's City Council is responsible for developing and evaluating the policies and the programs of the municipality and delegating the responsibility for carrying out those policies to Administration.
The Administration for the City is unique because of the organization's public ownership of natural gas and electric utilities.
Operations at the City of Medicine Hat is overseen by the Chief Administrative Office, followed by four divisions:
- Information & Computer Services
- Corporate Asset Management
- Human Resources
- Health Safety Environment & Emergency Management (HSE)
- Utility Distribution Systems
- Electric Generation
- Environmental Utilities
- Utilities Business Development & Support
- Natural Gas & Petroleum Resources (NGPR)