The City of Medicine Hat knows that business is the backbone of our economy. COVID-19 has presented unforeseeable hardship to companies, and the resources on this page provide you with a quick overview of vital business information you may need. This page links to other organizations in our community we are working with that focus on helping business.
* Please be advised. We are updating this site as the most relevant information becomes available.
There are many relief programs available at this time that may help individuals, employees and businesses.
Please click here to view the updated document (PDF) containing available programs that are relevant to our region. This document will be updated frequently, but due to the rapidly-changing situation regarding COVID-19, the programs listed may have been altered from the time of the posting. Please visit the links within the document for the latest information.
City Announces COVID-19 Assistance Package
City Council announced a COVID-19 assistance package to support residents and businesses in coping with and recovering from the economic impacts of the pandemic. The $8.2 million package was introduced at the May 4 meeting of City Council and includes property tax credits as well as $2 million for reinvestment into local businesses and $1 million for funds to be allocated on a case-by-case basis by the CAO office. Read the press release here. Specific criteria and program details to come pending future announcements.
Supporting Local Business Has Never Been More Critical
It's time to support the little guy! Click here to read this important post by Sandra Blyth,the Director of Economic Development with Invest Medicine Hat and member of the Leadership Team with Invest Southeast Alberta.
Press Release: Economic Recovery Team Assembled
Please click here to read the press release.
Economic Recovery Team Assembled For Business
In this video, City of Medicine Hat Mayor Ted Clugston talks about the Economic Recovery Team, which was formed by Invest Medicine Hat and Invest Southeast Alberta to help deal with the effects of COVID-19.
As the information for COVID-19 is new and rapidly changing, we will continue to provide up-to-date information here and on our social media channels.
Please also look to our partners who are updating their sites regularly with the latest information for business.
- Medicine Hat and District Chamber of Commerce - COVID-19 Information
- Business Link - Resources for Small Businesses Affected by COVID-19
In Medicine Hat and area, these organizations and the City are working in partnership to help companies through this turbulent time. We have created the Economic Recovery Team with the local support organizations listed below that you can reach out to in our community:
Economic Recovery Team Assembled for Business
Started in 2018, Invest Medicine Hat and Invest Southeast Alberta (ISA) came together as a group of businesses, governments and service agencies who have united to develop a joint economic action plan, share necessary resources, and ensure action is taken to support the region we serve.
Due to the disastrous affects of COVID 19, we have assembled an Economic Recovery Team (ERT) to aid local business. The team will be working together to provide a collaborative approach to best serve business during this time.
One of the first steps is the creation of this webpage that offers current and relevant information on COVID-19. We know in this unprecedented time that businesses need up-to-date and straight-forward information. As a result, we are filtering all the information that is coming in to provide you with streamlined resources. This site will be involving as new information comes in. Check back often to see how our Economic Recovery Team can help you.
There is too much information. Who do I go to if I don’t know where to start?
- It is important to take the time to make a continuity plan of action. This should include talking to your banker, accountant, insurance provider and possibly landlord to choose options that will help you over the long term.
- Locally, you can also call the Economic Recovery Team Hotline at 403.581.8999 from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm for help to get you started.
What are the relief programs available to me as a business owner at this time?
- The Federal government has created an Economic Response Plan for Canadians and Businesses during COVID-19. The provincial government has also created a listing of Support For Employers.
- As updates on these programs are regularly occurring, please see our full listing of relief programs for businesses found in the tab labeled "Economic Relief Programs" directly above this tab.
Where can I get more information on COVID-19 in regards to managing my workplace?
- The provincial government website lists Support For Employers during COVID-19.
- The Canadian Payroll Association website lists Questions and Answers from the Payroll Infoline.
What is the City of Medicine Hat doing for business at this time?
- Many community members and business owners are impacted by COVID-19. The City of Medicine Hat has determined preliminary measures for ratepayers who are experiencing unexpected challenges and uncertainty that may be affecting their ability to pay their utility bills. Effective March 16, 2020 all residential, farm and small commercial customers can defer utility bill payments for 90 days (until June 18) without penalty or disconnection. Customers who meet these conditions do not have to apply to enact this. All other customers for whom deferral is necessary are required to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403.529.8113.
- The City of Medicine Hat is also one of 17 partners that have joined together to create an Economic Recovery Team (ERT) to help businesses. Various supports have been initiated in Southeast Alberta through the partners.
What businesses need to to be closed, and what business are deemed non-essential?
- The provincial government website has a complete listing of business restrictions during COVID-19.
Where can I go to get more information on commercial insurance?
- The Insurance Bureau of Canada’s COVID-19 Q & A page provides an overview on business interruption policies.
My question is complicated. Who can I call to get more help?
- The Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses has set up a helpline at 1.888.234.2232.
- Business Link in Alberta is offering support through their business strategists at 1.800.272.9675.
- Locally, call the Economic Recovery Team Hotline through the Medicine Hat and District Chamber of Commerce at 403.581.8999.
Invest Southeast Alberta (ISA) is a group of businesses, governments and service agencies who have united to develop a joint economic action plan, share necessary resources, and ensure action is taken to support the region we serve. We are an informal partnership who will expand and contract as required by the directives of our projects.